Monday 9 April 2012

Major Project: Olivier, the Patissier, Character Texturing I


I have began texturing the character, however this time I decided to take a slightly different approach, first, I added the basic colours for each part of the map.


Then I took the model to Zbrush and sculpted extra details in most of his assets. exporting and creating a normal map of the high poly version.  



After I decided for the normal maps to work better to bake the Ambient Occlusion maps of the high poly mesh and apply onto the texture maps of the low poly. 


 Then I wanted to get the most of the shaders without using any texture yet, therefore I explored Fake Surface Scattering. I chose fake surface scattering over the real one, because the results are slightly different while the real one gets extraordinary results which take your model closer to the hyper-realism realm, the fake one achieves great result and keeps it more cartoony, therefore the choice was purely due to art direction. 


With the shader sorted I began texturing the skin and the head map and so far here is the progress, Tomorrow, I plan to finish the characters texture and move fast to the rigging task.

  
 


The latest Progress with the specular map added.

No comments: