Wednesday 8 February 2012

Major Project- Research: Art Direction and Character Stylisation

As I want to create a feel good animation, I have chosen to use a particular look for my world. The world of the Patissier will be a soft, rounded delightful world, with vivid colours delicious assets, this hopefully will also help to evoke happiness and joy as we follow he Patissier make the cake.

Therefore I looked at a few examples:


I have looked at:

Animation:

-Bill Plympton
- Heavenly Appeals by David Lisbe.
- Love Recipe by Supinfocom School
- Al Dente by Supinfocom School
- Parigot by School George Mellies
- Cosmos by Supinfocom School
Fantasia by Walt Disney
One Man Band by Pixar Studios


Films:
- Wizard of Oz
- Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory
- Charlie Chocolate Factory


As you may perceive, what these films and animations share in common is the visuals, strongly vivid pastel colours. Colour will be one of the vehicles to evoke happiness and joy.


Meanwhile, I have began looking at the character and how I want to go on stylising it. Belonging to a very specific style of animation (rubber hose), this will allow me to have the freedom to stylise my character as much as I want, then I will be able to apply squash and stretch features on the rig.

For Character Stylisation, I looked at:



Animation Characters: 

- Brett Bean Characters
- The Incredibles by Pixar Studios.
Ratatouille by Pixar Studios.
- Tangled by Disney.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by Disney.
- Fantasia by Disney.
- Elmer Fudd from Looney Toons.
-Bill Plympton Characters.
-How to Train your Dragon by Dreamworks.
- Despicable Me.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

For my animation, I want to the character to assume a really stylised form, just so I can apply squash and stretch and exaggeration without looking repulsive. Stylisation will also allow me to explore the designs and create a more appealing one. 

No comments: