Wednesday 7 October 2009

Essay Questions: progress

After tutor phil's interim crit, I thought that my essay was still a little bit broad and that i had to set some limits.. so the final question will be:

"True Personality or Experiment, Why do Male artists change their gender in a Self-Portrait?"

being a male artist, using changing gender in my portrait, or at least my face with female features, i think this question will be more appropriate.

I will be looking at works of Robbert Mapplethorpe, Andy Warhol to better understand their intentions when portraying themselves, the masquerade part, also I'll investigate why Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp had the necessity to dress as woman, and create an alter Ego, what was the message that they were trying to give?


P.s- Just wondering if it is too limited..

No comments: