Wednesday 18 November 2009

Perception Essay

I have to say I'm a bit confused with this Perception Essay, I have been looking to what is Semiotics, and though i can understand a bit is really difficult to apply to some examples, such as traditional art.
Also I don't know how to structure really the essay, I was thinking of starting to write about perception, and after go into semiology, write about the theory and after give two examples proving it.
I just found really confusing lectures, maybe because im not really into philosophy. Finally the MyUca website doesn't have the notes from the lecture, available for me.
I was thinking of look at works of Piero Della Francesca, more specifically 'Flagellation of Christ',who was one of the first to apply perspective and depth into a picture in a more figurative way, depicting a famous in religious history , and compare to works of the contemporary artist, Silke Schatz, who unintentionally draw lines in perspective in a plain simplistic white background to create a more abstract approach of art, where the lines formed at first look really abstract but after a while by the use of our perception we resemble it to buildings or other structures.

Im just a bit lost, how to apply Semiology into this examples :(


Anybody who can help?

4 comments:

Ethan Clements said...

For some reason we haven't got her notes from the lectures... I was trying to think of a way of helping you with this one, but i can see your dilemma... the only thng i could think of is talking about how the structure of the images distorts our perception or creates an illusion. but i'm not too sure what theories you could relate that to. You could also possibly talk about how our attention is more drawn to what's going on in the background, compared to the people we see in the foreground... i hope this was a bit of help for you.

Ruben Martins said...

thank you ethan, i just find really complicated to apply any theories to it, i was thinking of phenomonoly, but once again i dont know how to apply it... :(

Alan Postings said...

Hi Ruben,

Come and have a chat with me on Friday about this and i'll see if I can help you with your confusion.

Thanks
Alan

Ruben Martins said...

Thank you, Alan, that will be really appreciated..

... Also i would like to know if I could be present on the lesson in the morning instead on the afternoon, I mean swap maya with photoshop, because i have to go to work at 5 and i dont want to lose a hour about maya especially on our last tutorial...

I wont be repeated, the problem is that i just started working this week and my employer didnt know what time i finished on friday...

If that is able, thank you very much...