Friday 12 February 2010

Unit 04- 1950's Female Icons

After having pretty much my Beautician character ready to go to photoshop and apply some colour, I wanted to go forward with the Female Customer character. Being the sequence set in the 50's and once again to create a more believable space, I decided to research some 50's female icons to complete my research on this time.

I came across with a term, used in cinema, in the 40's and 50's, the femme fatale, the term comes from the French for "deadly woman". A femme fatale tries to achieve her hidden purpose by using feminine wiles such as beauty, charm, and sexual allure. Typically, she is exceptionally well-endowed with these qualities. In some situations, she uses lying or coercion rather than charm. Although, my female won't have anyone to seduce, i found this term useful to help me create the sensuality and charm lived in that time.


Female Icons - 1950's

1950's was a time where women, tried to show how sensual and charming they were without losing sophistication, with a lot of them featuring in films and in music, they were starting to play their part in society.

Marilyn Monroe


One of the most famous women in the world, her face is know almost by anyone, and at that time it conveyed the supreme symbol of charm.

Sophia Loren



Grace Kelly



Ava Gardner



Audrey Hepburn

Brigitte Bardot


Doris Day




For my character, I am looking to create a young 50's woman, bearing a lot of charm and beauty, but also adding a really extravagant haircut which ,as we can see, was fashion at that time.

After researching this , I realized how the term, femme fatale could actually exist with women like this holding the title.

3 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hey Rubes - that's not Doris Day, that's Grace Kelly - this is Doris Day...

http://redriverautographs.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/039_69070doris-day-posters-7421491.jpg

Ruben Martins said...

oops, I guess, I just messed up my database lol

I will add Doris Day

Anonymous said...

ni!ce I love Audrey Hepburn