Thursday 10 February 2011

Transcription: Research on Location


Within getting my storyboards cleaned up and ready to put together in a first draft animatic, I took some time to go to London, because it was a really interesting exhibition I wanted to go to. The exhibition at the British Museum was called 'Picasso to Julie Mehretu: Modern Drawings from the British Museum Collection', and as the name shows, it was a wide range of drawings, prints and paintings from artists ranging those two periods.
Many known artist featured the list, such as Picasso, Matisse, Magritte, Kirschner, Kentridge, etc. 
This exhibition allowed me not only to relax for a bit, but also to do some transcription research on location.
Indeed, the first part of the exhibition had numerous prints and drawings from German Expressionism, from artists such as, Otto Dix, Ludwig Meidner, Max Beckmann or Abraham Walkowitz. They were really strong examples of such a strongly graphical art movement. Many were the notes I wrote on my paper , of those examples. 

Following is a few of the paintings/drawings/ prints, I have seen yesterday, and let be inspired:


Ludwig Meidner
Street Scene, 1914


Max Beckmann 
Die Strasse 


Abraham Walkowitz
Untitled ( City Abstraction)

I found that to do on location research is amazing and despite the exhibition being really small ( approx.only 2 rooms), I was able to spend a lot of time in each painting,absorbing a lot of information as well as techniques. Which I possibly be using to create my textures.

Artists Researched: 

Abraham Walkowitz
Jacob Steinhardt
Ludwig Meidner
Otto Dix
Max Beckmann

No comments: